Thursday, March 1, 2012

Seared Tuna, Golden Beet Puree, Daikon Radish/Apple slaw, Edamame

I havent made a seared tuna in a few years, since I began dating my wife actually.  As a matter of fact, the first meal I ever cooked for my wife while we were dating was a seared tuna.  Guess it worked.  Give it a try, you will be rewarded.


For the tuna- season all sides with salt and pepper and roll it around on a plate covered with white and black sesame seeds.  Sear on each side for about 30-40 seconds or till you achieve the desired doneness in a non stick skillet coated with a little canola or vegetable oil. Obviously, less time for very rare or more time on each side for less rare.
Yellow Fin Tuna    

To make the beet puree, I just peeled and diced the golden beets (3 of them) into 1 inch pieces, covered them with room temperature salted water in a small sauce pan and brought it to a boil. Cover and simmer till they are tender.  Once tender, I smashed them with a potato masher, added about a teaspoon of rice vinegar, a small squirt of honey, and about a teaspoon of sesame oil. Buzz it with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender or food processor and blend till smooth, adding water to achieve desired thickness.

The salad is composed of very thinly julienned daikon radish, a crunchy apple and scallions tossed with a little lime juice, honey, salt and pepper.
 


The edamame is regular frozen edamame that you can find in pretty much any freezer section.  Just follow the instructions on the package- either microwave or boil in salted water, drain and season with salt and pepper.
Add a few drops of soy sauce around the plate, a little sea salt on the fish and garnish with a little micro cilantro...or regular cilantro. whatever.

There was initially another component to this dish that, in my mind, sounded awesome.  It was a "wasabi cream" that was a combination of creme fraiche, wasabi powder and a little rice vinegar.  I tried it out and it was actually disgusting, so I tried it with mayo and it was still gross, so I scrapped the whole idea.  Can't win 'em all, but you'll never know till you try, right?







No comments:

Post a Comment